Memories Are The Treasures That We Keep Locked Deep Within The Storehouse Of Our Souls, To Keep Our Hearts Warm When We Are Lonely.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Am I Ready To “Go Home”?

There is something very special about country living and my heart has always remained in a little kampong called Tandui, Membakut even though most of my adult life has been spent in the city of Kota Kinabalu. Kampong Tandui is the birth place of my parents, grandparents and I.

We kept hearing promises that "Every Mothers' Son" would be returned home. Is this another idiom or is it a prophecy.

I spent the last 4 days with my parents, who have returned to their countryside life after living in the city for almost 3 decade and I've found total peace by being there and enjoying the simple things in life. I've heard many of our family histories from my dad and understand what life was like then. They have worked together as a community to survive and they were not fussy on materialistic things as in city life. Like the saying goes. it didn't matter what cloth they wore, so long as it keep them warm and covered.

I have learned and fallen in love with the simplicity of countryside life, the wonderful scenes and most of all, the memories of my childhood while living there with my grandparent. In my life I only came to know my mom's mom as my other grandparents have passed away while my parents are still very young. My father was an orphan, left to fend for himself at a very young age of 10 years old. Thinking of that, I'm glad that my children and I, still have parents and grandparents to guide and to love. As I have always said "Before someone's tomorrow has been taken away, cherish those you love, appreciate them today. For tomorrow may be too late."

After spend sometimes in the countryside recently, I am now seriously thinking of spending the rest of my life in the place where I was born. Back to where I came from in this world. Am I ready to “go home”? There will definitely quite a difference in lifestyles but changes need to start somewhere, somehow or it will never happen.

Sincerely yours with love always,

No comments: